Everyone loves a shampoo that has a good foam. However, there’s something sinister behind this foam – sulfates. Sulfates are what cause the bubbles to rise, but they’re also damaging your hair and scalp at the same time.
Thank goodness there’s now a market for sulfate free shampoos which can give you all the joy of a regular shampoo, without the harmful chemicals. You’ll be amazed at how healthy your hair looks and feels once you go sulfate free. Let’s take a look at our list of the 9 best sulfate free shampoos.
Why Are These the 9 Best Sulfate Free Shampoos?
We’ve determined this list to be the 9 best sulfate free shampoos through our reviewing process. This includes an in-depth description of each shampoo, along with a recommended retail price and a star rating out of five to conclude.
Now that you know what's behind the way we decide our favorites sulfate free shampoos let's take a look at them.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo Overall: Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo
We like to start out confident, which is why we’ve gone for the best overall before anything else. While we wouldn’t typically recommend washing your hair every single day, we believe that you actually can with Paul Mitchell’s version of sulfate free shampoo.
This sulfate free shampoo features an organic awapuhi extract. This winning ingredient helps to balance the moisture levels in your hair while giving it that luster.
- Produced with the highest grade materials
- Satisfaction Ensured
- Excellent Quality, Great Gift Idea
- Exclusive blend of keratin protein, rebuilds and repairs for healthy looking hair
- Natural awapuhi extract balances moisture for manageability and shine
This lavish shampoo wash is also great for repairing dry, brittle hair that's been previously damaged by sulfate shampoos. We love that this Paul Mitchell sulfate free shampoo also includes the signature KeraTriplex blend, giving you some serious shine for your money.
Did we mention that it smells absolutely incredible? Get the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Lather Shampoo for $22.00. We rate it 5/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo on a Budget: L’Oreal EverPure Sulfate-Free Color Care System Moisture Shampoo
Wouldn't it be nice if we all had unlimited amounts of cash to blow on our hair? Unfortunately, most of us don't. That's why it's nice to have some sulfate free shampoo options that aren't going to break the bank altogether.
The next sulfate free shampoo on our list is what we consider to be excellent value for money. What we love about the L’Oreal drugstore sulfate free shampoo is that it puts moisture back in your hair while protecting your color.
- Sulfate-free, hydrating shampoo for color treated hair infused with refreshing rosemary and juniper
- Formulated with natural botanicals
- For color treated hair; anti-fade system for long-lasting color purity
- Net Wt. 8.5 oz.
Because we all know that colored hair needs an extra layer of care that you can't typically find in a regular shampoo, L’Oreal has gone the extra mile with this product.
What's more, this sulfate-free shampoo is entirely vegan, infused with juniper and refreshing rosemary to give you a beautiful shine and softness.
It’s pretty unbelievable that you can get all of this in a sulfate free shampoo that’s less than $10.
Get the L’Oreal EverPure Color Care System Shampoo for $8.30. We rate it 5/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Any Budget: Kerastase Discipline Bain Fluidealiste Sulfate-Free
We thought it fitting to follow our budget-friendly sulfate free pick with one that suits you if you aren't concerned about the price tag. After all, it's good to have options, right?
The Kerastase Bain sulfate free shampoo is what we believe to be the absolute best when it comes to heat treated hair. If you’re someone who curls or straightens their hair almost every day, you’ll want to get your hands on this sulfate free shampoo.
- Smooth-in-motion sulfate free shampoo provides discipline and fluidity
- Optimal nourishment without weight
- For sensitized or chemically-treated hair
That’s because it provides your hair with fluidity while reducing frizz caused by heat damage, leaving your strands shiny and sleek. This sulfate free shampoo also comes with an optimized base, creating the thick, foamy lather that you know you love. With a seemingly endless list of optimal ingredients for hair that’s in need of some tender loving care, we think that this sulfate free shampoo is worth the splurge.
We recommend the Kerastase sulfate free shampoo if your hair is naturally unruly and you can’t seem to tame it. Get the Kerastase Discipline Bain Fluidealiste Sulfate-Free shampoo for $52.00. We rate it 5/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Moisture: Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Shampoo
One of the hardest things to achieve with sulfate free shampoo is moisture. We all know that those pesky sulfates are great at lathering and giving you the appearance of moisture. Unfortunately, though, they don’t play the long game with hair health.
What we love most about the next best sulfate free shampoo on our list is that it’s made by professionals, for professionals. This means that if you don’t have time to go to your hairdresser you can cash in on this shampoo and pretend the salon is at home.
The great thing about the Bumble and Bumble sulfate free shampoo is that a little goes a long way. This means that you only have to use a small amount in your strands to cover all your hair.
This sulfate free shampoo comes with a total of six different essential oils for superior moisturizing. Because they're light, they won't weigh your hair down. Your hair is guaranteed to dry smoother, softer and shinier with this sulfate-free shampoo without breaking.
Get the Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Shampoo for $31.00. We rate it 4/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Volume: Moroccanoil Extra Volume Shampoo
The second hardest thing behind moisture for sulfate free shampoos to achieve is volume – you usually need chemicals for this.
Our next sulfate free shampoo begs to differ. If you want a gentle shampoo that’s going to add lots of volume, we recommend Moroccanoil Extra Volume Shampoo.
As the name suggests, this sulfate-free shampoo is infused with argan oil that’s rich in antioxidants. It also comes with linden bud extract, which works to liven up tired, limp looking strands the natural way.
This sulfate free shampoo takes it one step further when it comes to the quality of its ingredients, which is why it's a permanent fixture on our list. You’ve also got the fact that it’s phosphate free, color safe and free of parabens. We really can’t think of anything that we don’t love about the Moroccanoil Extra Volume sulfate free shampoo.
Get the Moroccanoil Extra Volume sulfate free shampoo for $47.00. We rate this sulfate free shampoo 4/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Flyaways: Living Proof No Frizz Shampoo
It’s all very well having a shampoo that’s free of sulfates. However, you may take more convincing that it’s not that great for the health of your hair. After all, beauty is pain, right?
If you care more about what this type of shampoo can do for the appearance of your hair, look no further than the Living Proof No Frizz shampoo. It’s particularly good at keeping those pesky flyaways from, well, flying away.
What we love most about this sulfate-free shampoo is that it's also free of silicone, too. The gentle formula of the Living Proof No Frizz shampoo will weight down your relentless frizz and smooth it right out, all without the help of chemicals.
The ingredient list on this sulfate free shampoo just keeps getting better and better. It also includes Living Proof’s patented Healthy Hair Molecule formula that provides you with an extra rich layer of lather.
This lather gets right down to the base of your scalp, soaking deep into the roots which helps to improve your hair’s texture while eliminating friction. The result is sleek, curly locks that will be thoroughly moisturized. Get the Living Proof No Frizz Shampoo for $55.00. We rate it 4/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Buildup: Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo
Perhaps your hair is still in the throes of a sulfate hangover and needs an immediate detox. When you use a certain type of sulfate shampoo for too long, it can end up stripping your hair entirely of naturally occurring oils, causing a buildup of unhealthy ones.
Enter the next sulfate free shampoo on our list. The Briogeo Blossom & Bloom has been specially designed to swoop in at the opportune moment and deal with the debris left behind by your old shampoo.
- ENHANCE THE LOOK OF HAIR FULLNESS AND THICKNESS: Briogeo's Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo contains natural ingredients that provide immediate fullness and long-term overall hair health to those with thin, limp or fine hair. This unique shampoo is infused with follicle stimulating ingredients that support hair from root to tip and promote fullness. The sulfate-free formula cleanses without stripping, drying, or dulling hair.
- PACKED WITH POTENT NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our volumizing shampoo contains ginger and ginseng to support natural blood flow to the scalp to stimulate follicle health while lemon and witch hazel extracts act as clarifying agents that absorb excess oil and extend time between blowouts. Biotin supports the hair shaft and hair follicle and maltodextrin, a natural sugar starch, visibly thickens and separates each strand to enhance volume and fullness.
- ADDITIVE AND CRUELTY-FREE: Briogeo is proud to say that Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Shampoo is 98% naturally derived. Specially formulated, this volumizing shampoo for thin, fine hair does not include sulfates, silicones, phthalates, parabens, DEA, or artificial dyes. It is certified gluten-free and cruelty-free so you can feel good about looking good! To achieve ultimate volume and fullness, use with our Blossom & Bloom Ginseng + Biotin Volumizing Conditioner.
- PERFECT FOR TREATED HAIR: The incredible ingredients in this volumizing shampoo make it the ideal product for cleaning and maintaining treated hair. Whether you routinely color your hair or use a keratin or chemical treatment, the unique blend of vitamins and nutrients will help keep your hair looking and feeling its best!
- ABOUT BRIOGEO: Beautiful hair shouldn't be compromised by harsh or harmful ingredients. Briogeo offers a high-performance hair care collection that is naturally based, yet performance driven to provide visible results. All Briogeo formulas live up to their performance claims - providing the vibrant, beautiful and healthy hair we constantly strive to achieve.
The ingredient list is a great place to start if you’re looking to be impressed. This includes ginger, ginseng, biotin, coconut, tangerine oils and orange peel. Needless to say, this formula is organic. This means that it's super safe to apply, lather, rinse and repeat, especially when it comes to damaged hair that is in dire need of a proper repair.
There’s nothing like using a sulfate free shampoo that’s going to implement damage control as well as new, better habits. Get the Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Ginseng Volumizing Shampoo for $24.00. We rate it 4/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Dandruff: Maple Holistic Sage Shampoo
One symptom you may have left over from your old days of washing your hair with sulfate shampoo is dandruff. Dandruff can be the result of stripping your hair of natural oils and letting it get too dry.
The second to last sulfate free shampoo on our list is all about dealing with dandruff. While there are many shampoo options on the market when it comes to dealing with the stuff, there aren’t that many who have taken a sulfate free approach.
Maple Holistic Sage Shampoo believes in using essential oils to tackle this problem head-on. The ingredients are vast and appealing to the nature bunny in you. They include tea tree, sage, rosemary, and botanical keratin.
- Therapeutic Dandruff Solution: Pure anti dandruff shampoo balances flaky scalp by gently cleansing to remove follicle clogging dirt, oil, and dry skin for healthy hair growth and itchy scalp relief.
- Revive Dull Dry Hair: Intensify shine and luster with Moroccan Argan Oil Jojoba and Peach Kernel to replenish moisture and restore vibrancy as keratin strengthens brittle hair for better elasticity.
- Improve Hair Texture: Our extra strength anti itch dry scalp treatment nourishes to reduce frizz and static in curly hair for softer, smoother hair as it boosts roots for more volume body and bounce.
- All Natural Ingredients: Our clarifying shampoo is sulfate free paraben free cruelty free and preservative free. Sage Rosemary and Tea Tree essential oils make our natural shampoo potent and powerful.
- All Hair Types: Enhance normal oily dry or color treated hair that's thin or thick with our vitamin scalp treatment which may help prevent breakage split ends and hair loss and won't irritate skin.
They also include an organic compound that goes by the name of verbenone. This compound helps to stimulate hair follicles naturally and encourages circulation in your scalp.
This sulfate free shampoo is excellent because it works hard to get to the bottom of your dandruff problem, and works its way up from there. We love that all its ingredients are organic and natural. Get the Maple Holistic Sage Shampoo for $10.40. We rate it 3.5/5 stars.
Best Sulfate Free Shampoo for Lengthening and Strengthening: Rapunzel Hair Growth Shampoo
- SAFE NATURAL INGREDIENTS THAT BOOSTS HAIR GROWTH: Make your hair grow like crazy with zero chemicals! With natural follicle stimulating ingredients like rosemary, jojoba, borage, chamomile, asparagus, and olive oil, shampooing your hair will be both nourishing and gentle. Helps limit hair loss and encourages new growth in no time with continued and daily use.
- FRESH LIME SHAMPOO SCENT: Have fragrant hair round the clock! This organic clarifying shampoo is blended with herbal essences that leaves a delicious sexy scent to your hair all day. The lime aroma as you wash your hair can also help you relax as you wash, massage, and lather your scalp and hair.
- GREAT CONSISTENCY AND LATHER: Enjoy a silky lather while washing your locks. This organic natural shampoo is formulated with just the right consistency. Not too sticky and not too liquidy. And shampooing can never be fun without an optimal level of foam that cleanses your strands and scalp without drying, leaving your hair smooth and manageable all day long!
- MADE IN THE USA: This hair growth shampoo is blended, manufactured, and packaged in the USA. You are guaranteed of top quality hair growth shampoo in every bottle.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: With no questions asked, if you're not completely satisfied with the results of this product, you may return the item and we'll give you a full refund. So, click the "add to cart" button now and start having fresher and thicker hair today!
As the name suggests, the last sulfate free shampoo on our list is well known for its ability to lengthen and strengthen your hair, naturally. While it’s not a magic trick in a bottle, it certainly has the ingredients to gently encourage your hair to grow, without any artificial chemicals or parabens.
This bottled potion includes ingredients like chamomile, jojoba, asparagus, and rosemary – all great ingredients for limiting hair loss and encouraging its growth.
What we love most about this sulfate free shampoo is its delicious, naturally occurring lime scent that accompanies the exotic list of ingredients.
Not only will you experience longer, healthier hair that’s stronger than it’s ever been before, but you’ll also smell great, too. Get the Rapunzel Hair Growth Shampoo for $19.00. We rate it 3.5/5 stars.
Looking at the 9 Best Sulfate Free Shampoos for Healthy Hair
When it comes to having healthy hair, there’s no need to compromise.
Whether you’ve got all the money in the world to spend on shampoo or you’re on a strict budget, there’s no reason why you can’t be washing your hair with sulfate free shampoo.
Sulfate free shampoo is the way of the future. It protects the health of your hair and scalp while promoting natural ingredients that were there all along – you just didn't know it.
Our comprehensive list of the 9 best sulfate shampoos will help to narrow down your decision making – before you know it, you’ll be washing your hair with sulfate free shampoo, too.